Position Opening for Lecturer or Associate Professor
1. Affiliation: School of Human Education, Global Education Course
2. Job type and the number of positions: One full-time Lecturer or Associate Professor
3. Field of research: Japanese language education
(1) Doctorate degree or the equivalent research achievements in the field concerned, and educational abilities.
NB: The successful candidate is expected to teach the Ph.D. program at the Joint Graduate School in the near future.
NB: Research achievements related to teaching methods or development of teaching materials are desirable.
(2) At least 2 years of experience teaching Japanese at a higher education institution in Japan or abroad.
(3) Ability for using correct, fluent and natural Japanese language to conduct classes and to advise students.
(4) The ability to collaborate with teachers at schools for educational research.
(5) Active participation in university operations and professional contributions to society.
5. Courses to teach:
Japanese II, Lecture on Japanese Life, Society and Culture, Studies in Japanese Culture, Practicum
in Teaching Japanese as a Second Language, Studies in Teaching Methodology of Japanese as a
Second Language, Seminar on Teaching Methodology of Japanese as a Second Language, and others
6. Date of Employment: April 1, 2023
7. Length of Contract: The initial contract is for five years, with the possibility of tenure.
(The mandatory retirement age is 65.)
8. Application deadline: August 5 (Fri.), 2022
(The required documents must arrive at the university by 17:00 on the day.)
9. Documents to submit:
(1) CV/resume (using the designated form with the applicant’s photo attached)
(2) List of professional achievements (using the designated form)
(3) Three principal publications (books and/or articles); originals, offprints, or photocopies
A summary of each of these in Japanese (approximately 200 characters) is required.
(4) Teaching and research plans at Naruto University of Education in Japanese (approximately 1,000 characters)
NB: The forms designated by the university (CV/resume and List of Achievements) can be downloaded at the university website
10. Mailing address:
Hidekazu SAKO, President,
Naruto University of Education,748 Nakashima, Takashima, Naruto-cho, Naruto City, 772-8502, Japan
NB: The application documents should be sent by registered mail (electronic submissions will not be accepted), with “Application
for the position of Japanese language education” written on the envelope in red.
Professor Masao ISHIMURA, Global Education Course, Naruto University of Education,
748 Nakashima, Takashima, Naruto-cho, Naruto City, 772-8502, Japan
Tel: +81-88-687-6257 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions regarding remuneration: Tel: +81-88-687-6036 E-mail: email@example.com
12. Additional information:
(1) It is suggested that the successful applicant should dwell in the vicinity of Naruto after employed.
(2) The application materials will not be returned. If the applicant wishes to have them returned, he/she must request so beforehand.
The personal information the university has acquired in the selection process will be treated confidentially according to the Act on
the Protection of Personal Information to be Held by Independent Administrative Institutions.
(3) In principle, finalists will be invited for an interview with a teaching demonstration at the university. Finalists’ expenses for travel and
accommodation for the interview will not be reimbursed.
(4) The university has a policy for recruitment in which the decision is not to be influenced by applicants’ nationality or gender. In cases
where two or more finalists are equal in qualifications and achievements, the university will give preference to female applicants.
(5) Even if the successful candidate is a local government employee prior to employment at the university, the university will not count
his or her years of service as a local government employee in the calculation of his or her retirement allowance from the university.